Monday, January 10, 2011

Fall 2010 pt. 2 - First Place!

I like all this snowy weather. It could be a hindrance if driving far places was a desire, or sunbathing on the roof even.  This morning was not very sunny, but the stillness outside was pretty, and inclines me to wake up even earlier tomorrow because early morning is always the most peaceful.  Yesterday morning the sun was still low in the sky and made these sparkling icicles from my roof:



This is part two of my parts.  That is such an odd little word. Part.

In November, the Gateway Arts Center in Mount Sterling (KY) had a juried exhibit for Morehead students.  There was tons of good art submitted.. picking "the best" or "the most interesting" or whatever they judge by, would've been a challenge.  Once selected to be in the gallery, they pick winners (and 2nd place.. maybe 3rd? maybe not) for 5 categories - digital, drawing/printmaking, painting, sculpture, and photography.

I submitted two oil paintings that I had done for class, of which one got in, and it got first!  Pretty awesome! Yet unexpected at the same time, as they didn't even choose the painting that I thought they would.

I titled it "Half-Conscious".  (18x24")  I wanted it to represent a feeling I had of knowing I should be conscious, but not wanting to be conscious.  To be conscious, in my definition, is to be aware of yourself and your surroundings, and accept whatever is going on at a given time and deal with it however is necessary.  I could tell that that is not what I was doing in many areas, and life began to get more overwhelming, resulting in a stressful semester.  I associate birds with freedom - you could see this as a bird trying to save herself and her freedom by trying to stay conscious.


(click picture to enlarge)


Thanks for reading!! =D

-Tasha

No comments: